There are so many different things to think about when moving to a new country, even after you’ve made the hard decision on determining which country to move to. Here are some of the most important things you need to do when you’re moving abroad:
1) Secure housing: Finding a place to live should be your number one priority. Finding an affordable home in the location you’re interested in that fits into your tastes and lifestyle can be a time-consuming task; don’t wait until you start your property research. In Thailand, Pattaya is a growing city with plenty of luxury properties to choose from, most of which are extremely affordable.
2) Get a visa: It’s important to know whether or not you will even qualify to stay in the country long-term before making the move! Even if you’ve already secured a home to live in when you’ve arrived, obtaining a visa can hinder your plan to move. In Thailand there are multiple types of visas available, check out the Thai Embassy website to learn more about getting yourself a Thai visa.
3) Exchange currency: If you’re moving to a new country, more than likely the currency you currently use will not work. As soon as you arrive you’ll need cash to pay for everything from meals to transportation. The currency used in Thailand is the Thai Baht (THB), currently 1 USD is equal to approximately 35 THB or 1 GBP is 55 THB. This exchange rate is one of the reasons that retirees are loving Thailand. Find out more reasons why Thailand is a great place to retire to.
4) Learn etiquette and norms: While you can get by living in a new country without being an expert in cultural etiquette, it can be very helpful. Here are a couple of articles to help you out in learning the norms in Thailand:
5) Learn the language: Although in many locations around the world you may be able to find people that speak English, it’s important to make an effort to learn the native language of the area you’re moving to. If you’re moving to Thailand the official language is Thai, although English could unofficially be considered the second language. If you make an effort to learn their language it will help you to live more easily in the country.